In December 2013, we lost John Beishline, the long-time race director of the Buffalo Marathon. His unwavering support and guidance helped grow not only the Marathon, but also the many other races that he was involved with in our region. Thousands of runners have enjoyed taking part in his races, and will continue to do so in the future. Our thoughts and prayers are with John and his loved ones always.
In his memory, the John Beishline Memorial 5k was established in 2014.
A mere 11 months after John’s passing, our new race director, Tom Donnelly, unexpectedly passed away. Tom helped John grow the marathon and it was Tom's idea to create the 5k in John’s memory.
5k on Saturday
After it's initial debut in 2014 the 5k has become extremely popular! With an 8:30 start time we hope many runners will use it as their shake out run before attending the expo which opens at 9am.
The Donnelly Challenge
Tom introduced the 5k in 2014 and was focused on that and the growth of the marathon. With that in mind we are challenging all marathoners to run both the 5k on Saturday and the marathon on Sunday. Those that complete the challenge will have a special award mailed to them.
We are working out the details of the award now so please check back.
This race will be capped at 1200 runners this year so register early.
PLEASE NOTE: THERE WILL BE NO RACE DAY REGISTRATION.
$20 through October 31, 2018
$25 Nov.1 through Jan. 31, 2019
$30 Feb.1 through Feb. 28, 2019
$35 Mar 1 through Apr. 30, 2019
$40 May 1 through May 25, 2019
Packet pickup is race morning only from 6:30am till 8:15am. The race will start at 8:30am sharp.
Full/Half Packet pickup will NOT be available until 9:00am when the expo opens.
Saturday 10:00 a.m.
Overall Male 1st Place, Overall Female 1st Place
Masters Male 1st Place, Masters Female 1st Place
The top three males and females in each of the following age groups will receive awards:
9 and under, 10-14, 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79 and 80 plus.
All 5K runners will receive
- Official 5K technical shirt at registration
- Finisher Medal for completing the event
- Post Race Party Immediately Following
- Age Group Awards
Rules & Regulations
All rules set forth for the 5k have been established in order to protect the safety of our participants and keep us in good standing with our governing body, the USATF. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated in helping everyone to enjoy race day.
- No wheeled vehicles are allowed on the course at any time. All bikes, strollers, motorcycles, cars, etc. will be immediately removed by race personnel.
- No dogs are allowed on the course at any time.
- No roller blades or roller skates are allowed on the course at any time.
- Adaptive strollers (running strollers) are allowed with the race directors permission.
- Only registered participants may be on the course during the event. Spectators are asked to remain on the sidewalks.
- Headphones ARE now permitted on the course due to the revised legislation passed by the USATF, the governing body.
- Participants must stay on the official course at all times. It is the responsibility of each participant to know the course and follow the course volunteers. Participants who leave the course will automatically be disqualified. Please see the course map to learn the course before race day.
- BEMA has medical staff stationed throughout the course. The Medical staff has the authority to remove any participant if they believe their health is at risk.
- Only participants wearing the provided MyLaps BibTag's will be timed and included in the final race results.
Only registered participants may cross the finish line. We reserve the right to disqualify anyone crossing the finish line with anyone that is not a registered participant.